Poker tournament benefits cheerleadersAugust 22,2013Poker tournament
NORTH CLARENDON — Residents are invited to try their luck for a good cause in a poker tournament at 7 p.m. Friday at the North Clarendon Grange.
The Texas Hold ’em tournament will raise money for five members of Mill River Union High School’s cheerleading team — Mal Allen, Annie Cotrupi, Kassidi Goodell, Brianna Howard and Hannah Turgeon — to travel to New York City and participate in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The tournament will also help pay for cheerleader Torri Hixon to travel with the Universal Cheerleaders Association’s All-American Cheerleading Squad to participate in the 2014 London New Year’s Day Parade, the largest of its kind in Europe.
A $60 buy-in earns 2,000 chips, with additional buys available within the first hour. Free food and a 50/50 raffle are available.MORE IN This Just InA business development study recommends replacing "shop locally" with "you can find it here." Full StorySaturday's women's basketball game between College of St. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.