Students invited to write essaysAugust 22,2013Students invited
to submit essays
Elementary and middle school students are invited to join in an essay-writing contest base on a piece of Vermont historical fiction.
“The Spare Room” by Jenny Land describes life on a 19th-century Vermont farm in the years leading up to the Civil War. The book’s publisher, Brigantine Media, is inviting children across the state to submit a piece of fiction in the form of a letter or a diary entry.
The contest is open to students who live, attend school or are home-schooled in Vermont. There will be two divisions, grades 4-6 and 7-8, with four winners chosen in each. The first-prize winner in each division will receive $100.
The submission deadline is Nov. 14 and winners will be announced Dec. 12.
For contest rules or more information, visit www. thespareroombook.com.MORE IN This Just InPOULTNEY — Sheila Nichols has been so busy for so long, she doesn’t know how to slow down. Full StoryFAIRLEE — The Thetford Energy Committee was honored Saturday at a statewide energy conference... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation