Students invited to write essaysAugust 22,2013Students invited
to submit essays
Elementary and middle school students are invited to join in an essay-writing contest base on a piece of Vermont historical fiction.
“The Spare Room” by Jenny Land describes life on a 19th-century Vermont farm in the years leading up to the Civil War. The book’s publisher, Brigantine Media, is inviting children across the state to submit a piece of fiction in the form of a letter or a diary entry.
The contest is open to students who live, attend school or are home-schooled in Vermont. There will be two divisions, grades 4-6 and 7-8, with four winners chosen in each. The first-prize winner in each division will receive $100.
The submission deadline is Nov. 14 and winners will be announced Dec. 12.
For contest rules or more information, visit www. thespareroombook.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.