Students invited to write essaysAugust 22,2013Students invited
to submit essays
Elementary and middle school students are invited to join in an essay-writing contest base on a piece of Vermont historical fiction.
“The Spare Room” by Jenny Land describes life on a 19th-century Vermont farm in the years leading up to the Civil War. The book’s publisher, Brigantine Media, is inviting children across the state to submit a piece of fiction in the form of a letter or a diary entry.
The contest is open to students who live, attend school or are home-schooled in Vermont. There will be two divisions, grades 4-6 and 7-8, with four winners chosen in each. The first-prize winner in each division will receive $100.
The submission deadline is Nov. 14 and winners will be announced Dec. 12.
For contest rules or more information, visit www. thespareroombook.com.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.