Gas prices, most other fuels head higherSTAFF REPORT | August 25,2013Gasoline prices in Vermont spiked 20 cents a gallon over the last month to an average of $3.75 a gallon, according to the state’s monthly fuel price report.
Prices are nearly 8 cents a gallon higher than a year ago when the average price for regular gas was $3.675 a gallon.
The average August price for heating oil in the state was $3.592 a gallon compared with $3.497 a gallon last month. Prices are only slightly higher than a year ago, when heating oil averaged $3.609 a gallon.
With the exception of propane, other fuel prices also posted increases over July.
Propane averaged $2.92 a gallon, a penny less than a month ago; kerosene, $4 a gallon, an increase of 4 cents; and diesel, $4 a gallon, an increase of 6 cents.
The Energy Information Administration reported that rising crude oil prices and seasonal demand contributed to the price of gas increasing from an average of $3.50 a gallon July 1 to $3.63 a gallon Aug. 5.
The EIA is forecasting that prices will average $3.59 a gallon in the third quarter.
For the year, the average price is expected to decline from an average of $3.63 a gallon last year to $3.52 a gallon this year. The EIA expects that in 2014 prices will head lower, averaging $3.37 a gallon.MORE IN National / World BusinessKILLINGTON — The Inn of the Six Mountains has been sold to a group of investors, including... Full StoryLUDLOW — It’s a good sign for the local business climate when back-to-back ribbon cuttings are on... Full StoryDanielle Monroe moved to Vermont from New York City on a whim 10 years ago. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1843, British Naval officer GEORGE LORD PAULET obtains provisional cession of Hawaiian Islands; 1866, miners claim Calaveras skull found found in goldmine is remains of 5 million-year-old Pliocene man.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown