Gas prices, most other fuels head higherSTAFF REPORT | August 25,2013Gasoline prices in Vermont spiked 20 cents a gallon over the last month to an average of $3.75 a gallon, according to the state’s monthly fuel price report.
Prices are nearly 8 cents a gallon higher than a year ago when the average price for regular gas was $3.675 a gallon.
The average August price for heating oil in the state was $3.592 a gallon compared with $3.497 a gallon last month. Prices are only slightly higher than a year ago, when heating oil averaged $3.609 a gallon.
With the exception of propane, other fuel prices also posted increases over July.
Propane averaged $2.92 a gallon, a penny less than a month ago; kerosene, $4 a gallon, an increase of 4 cents; and diesel, $4 a gallon, an increase of 6 cents.
The Energy Information Administration reported that rising crude oil prices and seasonal demand contributed to the price of gas increasing from an average of $3.50 a gallon July 1 to $3.63 a gallon Aug. 5.
The EIA is forecasting that prices will average $3.59 a gallon in the third quarter.
For the year, the average price is expected to decline from an average of $3.63 a gallon last year to $3.52 a gallon this year. The EIA expects that in 2014 prices will head lower, averaging $3.37 a gallon.MORE IN National / World BusinessNEW YORK — Wall Street’s wild swings returned Friday, with the Dow Jones industrial average... Full StoryNEW YORK — After posting yet another disappointing quarter at McDonald’s, CEO Don Thompson said... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.