Gas prices, most other fuels head higherSTAFF REPORT | August 25,2013Gasoline prices in Vermont spiked 20 cents a gallon over the last month to an average of $3.75 a gallon, according to the state’s monthly fuel price report.
Prices are nearly 8 cents a gallon higher than a year ago when the average price for regular gas was $3.675 a gallon.
The average August price for heating oil in the state was $3.592 a gallon compared with $3.497 a gallon last month. Prices are only slightly higher than a year ago, when heating oil averaged $3.609 a gallon.
With the exception of propane, other fuel prices also posted increases over July.
Propane averaged $2.92 a gallon, a penny less than a month ago; kerosene, $4 a gallon, an increase of 4 cents; and diesel, $4 a gallon, an increase of 6 cents.
The Energy Information Administration reported that rising crude oil prices and seasonal demand contributed to the price of gas increasing from an average of $3.50 a gallon July 1 to $3.63 a gallon Aug. 5.
The EIA is forecasting that prices will average $3.59 a gallon in the third quarter.
For the year, the average price is expected to decline from an average of $3.63 a gallon last year to $3.52 a gallon this year. The EIA expects that in 2014 prices will head lower, averaging $3.37 a gallon.MORE IN National / World BusinessNEW YORK — To win the hearts of frequent business travelers, United Airlines is going through... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Will Rutland Plywood rebuild? Depends on the insurance settlement; Kevin O'Connor reports from the late U.S. senator Jim Jeffords' Friday funeral; state maps strategy to reduce prescription drug abuse.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.