Gas prices, most other fuels head higherSTAFF REPORT | August 25,2013Gasoline prices in Vermont spiked 20 cents a gallon over the last month to an average of $3.75 a gallon, according to the state’s monthly fuel price report.
Prices are nearly 8 cents a gallon higher than a year ago when the average price for regular gas was $3.675 a gallon.
The average August price for heating oil in the state was $3.592 a gallon compared with $3.497 a gallon last month. Prices are only slightly higher than a year ago, when heating oil averaged $3.609 a gallon.
With the exception of propane, other fuel prices also posted increases over July.
Propane averaged $2.92 a gallon, a penny less than a month ago; kerosene, $4 a gallon, an increase of 4 cents; and diesel, $4 a gallon, an increase of 6 cents.
The Energy Information Administration reported that rising crude oil prices and seasonal demand contributed to the price of gas increasing from an average of $3.50 a gallon July 1 to $3.63 a gallon Aug. 5.
The EIA is forecasting that prices will average $3.59 a gallon in the third quarter.
For the year, the average price is expected to decline from an average of $3.63 a gallon last year to $3.52 a gallon this year. The EIA expects that in 2014 prices will head lower, averaging $3.37 a gallon.MORE IN National / World BusinessThe escalating conflict in Ukraine combined with disappointing earnings and profit outlooks from... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Scientists call for more research on the temporal and lasting effects of nuclear fallout on plants and animals in proximity to Japan’s Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power station where changes at the molecular level were found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Archaelogists uncover artifacts proving that late neolithic Egyptians, pre-dating the Pyramids of Giza, practiced mummification to prepare their dead for the afterlife, far earlier than presupposed.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.