Ariz. tries for foliage crown, to Vt.'s chagrinAugust 26,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER - The editor of the Arizona Highways magazine says Vermont is the nation's gold standard when it comes to fall foliage.
But the editor, Robert Stieve, points out that the foliage season in Arizona lasts a lot longer than it does in Vermont.
Stieve made the comments Monday after his magazine claimed that fall colors are better in Arizona. The cover of the magazine's October issue shows a waterfall surrounded by golden leaves with the headline "Autumn in Arizona and why it's better than it is in Vermont."
Vermont officials rushed to the defense of the state's cherished red-, orange- and gold-hued fall foliage. And Vermont Life magazine quickly produced an all-in-fun cover that claimed that a local attraction, the Quechee Gorge, "is better than the Grand Canyon."
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?