Police: Vermont murder suspect diesAugust 26,2013BURLINGTON ó Police say a Vermont man charged with first-degree murder in an elderly womanís death has apparently died of natural causes at a hospital.
Vermont State Police said 76-year-old Carlton Bickford of Glover died overnight Friday while at Fletcher Allen Medical Center in Burlington. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday to determine the cause of death.
Lyndonville police said last month that Bickford told them he killed 72-year-old Rachel Coburn of Barton.
Coburn was found dead at her home from a gunshot wound. Lyndonville police said the two argued, Bickford left, got a shotgun and shells, and returned to the home, then argued with her again before shooting her. Police said he then tried to take his own life, but suffered only a grazing injury to his shoulder.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.