Daniel J. McCarthy RitesAugust 30,2013Daniel J. McCarthy Rites
The memorial service for Daniel Joseph McCarthy, 84, who died Aug. 23, 2013, was held Tuesday, Aug. 27, at the Aldous Funeral Home. The Rev. Michael Ramos, O.F.M. Cap., and the Rev. William Whiteman officiated.
Reader was Sr. Margaret McDevitt.
A reception followed at American Legion Post #31 in Rutland.
Burial was held in the South Village Cemetery in Dorset. Military honors were provided by the American Legion Post #31 Color Guard. The flag was presented by Ron Fairbanks. Taps was sounded by Jim Mills. Flag folders were John Manney, Bill Champine, and John Malosky.
Bagpiper was Gerry Cashion.
Memorial contributions may be made to Oba Herschberger (an Amish family in Illinois), c/o Aldous Funeral Home, 44 North Main St., Rutland, VT 05701.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.