Daniel J. McCarthy RitesAugust 30,2013Daniel J. McCarthy Rites
The memorial service for Daniel Joseph McCarthy, 84, who died Aug. 23, 2013, was held Tuesday, Aug. 27, at the Aldous Funeral Home. The Rev. Michael Ramos, O.F.M. Cap., and the Rev. William Whiteman officiated.
Reader was Sr. Margaret McDevitt.
A reception followed at American Legion Post #31 in Rutland.
Burial was held in the South Village Cemetery in Dorset. Military honors were provided by the American Legion Post #31 Color Guard. The flag was presented by Ron Fairbanks. Taps was sounded by Jim Mills. Flag folders were John Manney, Bill Champine, and John Malosky.
Bagpiper was Gerry Cashion.
Memorial contributions may be made to Oba Herschberger (an Amish family in Illinois), c/o Aldous Funeral Home, 44 North Main St., Rutland, VT 05701.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.