Daniel J. McCarthy RitesAugust 30,2013Daniel J. McCarthy Rites
The memorial service for Daniel Joseph McCarthy, 84, who died Aug. 23, 2013, was held Tuesday, Aug. 27, at the Aldous Funeral Home. The Rev. Michael Ramos, O.F.M. Cap., and the Rev. William Whiteman officiated.
Reader was Sr. Margaret McDevitt.
A reception followed at American Legion Post #31 in Rutland.
Burial was held in the South Village Cemetery in Dorset. Military honors were provided by the American Legion Post #31 Color Guard. The flag was presented by Ron Fairbanks. Taps was sounded by Jim Mills. Flag folders were John Manney, Bill Champine, and John Malosky.
Bagpiper was Gerry Cashion.
Memorial contributions may be made to Oba Herschberger (an Amish family in Illinois), c/o Aldous Funeral Home, 44 North Main St., Rutland, VT 05701.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.