ELMIRA, N.Y. — A fire tore through a home, spewing flames from the windows and killing four children, neighbors said.
The four victims had been pulled from the burning upstate New York home by firefighters and medics but died later.
The blaze swept through the two-story home, on a tidy block in the riverside city of Elmira, south of New York’s Finger Lakes near the Pennsylvania border, on Friday night. Fire officials said the building was engulfed in flames when they arrived.
Police didn’t immediately release the names and ages of the victims but confirmed on Saturday that children were among them.
Firefighters had the blaze under control fairly quickly, officials said. The victims were found on the second floor in the home.MORE IN Wire NewsYARMOUTH, Maine — The number of baby lobsters settling off the rocky coast of Maine continues to... Full StoryJINDO, South Korea — For a moment there is silence in the tent where bodies from the ferry... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.