Police warn of new scamSeptember 02,2013Police say a new scam that promises a cash prize of more than $800,000 is just the latest in a series of reported frauds.
The Keene Sentinel reported that a mailing from Legacy Assured Delivery of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., claims that recipients must return their prize claim slip with $20 in cash, check or money order to a post office box in the city. In return, Legacy promises to send $829,919.
But there is no contact information for Legacy on any of the mail-in forms reviewed Friday by a reporter.
An Internet search for Legacy Assured Delivery didnít provide any further details about the companyís origin or physical location. However, it does lead to links about others who have received similar mailings and questioned their authenticity.MORE IN This Just InBillings Farm & Museum in Woodstock will host its annual Baby Animal Day on Saturday. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.