Vt. teacher facing sex charges to change pleaThe Associated Press | September 06,2013BURLINGTON - A former Burlington high school Spanish teacher accused of having a sexual relationship with a student is expected to withdraw her not guilty plea.
Prosecutors told the Burlington Free Press that a proposed plea agreement is expected to be outlined at a hearing at 3 p.m. today in court in Chittenden County for Giovanna Yaranga.
The 44-year-old Yaranga had pleaded not guilty in May to four felony counts of sexual exploitation of a minor. She later pleaded not guilty to a charge of violating her conditions of release by contacting the student after a judge ordered her to stay away from the 17-year-old boy.
Yaranga was hired by the Burlington school district in August 1998.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.