Veteran, founder of Purple Hearts Reunited, to speak Sept. 12 in BurlingtonSTAFF REPORT | September 09,2013BURLINGTON — The founder of Purple Hearts Reunited will speak to the Green Mountain chapter of the Air Force Association Sept. 12 at the Elks Club in Burlington.
Capt. Zachariah Fike was awarded the Purple Heart in September 2010 for injuries he received while deployed with the Vermont Army National Guard in Afghanistan.
The nonprofit that he established, Purple Hearts Reunited, works to locate lost or stolen military medals and return them to their rightful owners or families.
The meeting includes lunch at a cost of $12, payable at the door (cash only). Advanced luncheon registration is required and may be made by contacting John Roach by email at email@example.com or by phone at 879-3713.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.