Veteran, founder of Purple Hearts Reunited, to speak Sept. 12 in BurlingtonSTAFF REPORT | September 09,2013BURLINGTON — The founder of Purple Hearts Reunited will speak to the Green Mountain chapter of the Air Force Association Sept. 12 at the Elks Club in Burlington.
Capt. Zachariah Fike was awarded the Purple Heart in September 2010 for injuries he received while deployed with the Vermont Army National Guard in Afghanistan.
The nonprofit that he established, Purple Hearts Reunited, works to locate lost or stolen military medals and return them to their rightful owners or families.
The meeting includes lunch at a cost of $12, payable at the door (cash only). Advanced luncheon registration is required and may be made by contacting John Roach by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 879-3713.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.