Veteran, founder of Purple Hearts Reunited, to speak Sept. 12 in BurlingtonSTAFF REPORT | September 09,2013BURLINGTON — The founder of Purple Hearts Reunited will speak to the Green Mountain chapter of the Air Force Association Sept. 12 at the Elks Club in Burlington.
Capt. Zachariah Fike was awarded the Purple Heart in September 2010 for injuries he received while deployed with the Vermont Army National Guard in Afghanistan.
The nonprofit that he established, Purple Hearts Reunited, works to locate lost or stolen military medals and return them to their rightful owners or families.
The meeting includes lunch at a cost of $12, payable at the door (cash only). Advanced luncheon registration is required and may be made by contacting John Roach by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 879-3713.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.