expanding in Vt.
MONTPELIER — Broadband Internet service is expanding in northern Orange County as part of the state’s long-stated goal of providing service to all Vermonters by the end of the year, the Vermont Telecommunications Authority said Thursday.
The first seven miles of the Orange County Fiber Connector project are in service and a total of more than 32 miles of the 36-mile route have been hung on utility poles.
Once all the cable has been hung and connected to digital network equipment, it will be tested and certified for commercial use. It’s due to be completed this fall.
The newest Orange County route begins in Chelsea, generally following Route 113 to Thetford and then Route 132 to Sharon.
The authority compares the fiber to interstate highways with a large capacity to transmit data. Internet service providers then connect customers to the fiber network.
State officials for years have vowed to ensure that all Vermonters have access to broadband internet, but a 2010 goal was not met.
Nearly two years ago Gov. Peter Shumlin set the goal of ensuring all Vermonters have access to broadband Internet service by the end of this year.MORE IN Vermont NewsBARRE — Republican Scott Milne promised to steer the state away from Gov. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.