Long Trail foot bridge to take shape in Vt.The Associated Press | September 16,2013BOLTON - Work is going to start on a foot bridge for the Long Trail, the long-distance hiking trail in Vermont.
The Green Mountain Club and Gov. Peter Shumlin are participating in a groundbreaking ceremony in Bolton this afternoon.
Former Gov. Howard Dean also is attending.
The club has sought to establish a safe, appropriate and permanent route for the Long Trail over the Winooski River in Bolton since 1912, when it established the first stretch of the trail from Mount Mansfield to the river.MORE IN This Just InMIDDLEBURY — The Bryce Dance Company revealed its diversity Sunday at Town Hall Theater,... Full StoryFAIR HAVEN -- Police said a Fair Haven man shot and killed himself after two traffic stops early... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Who will run for mayor in Rutland next year? Has Bennington overcome its fear of twerking? Documentary 'Hungry Heart' packs the Paramount, and the city's Creek Path scores another million-plus dollars.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: The 1509 'Lesser Judgment' earthquake on this day at Constantinople kills 13,000 and destroys the city; in 1801, on this day, Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is born.