Vt. Electric Co-op returning $850K to membersThe Associated Press | September 19,2013MONTPELIER — The Vermont Electric Cooperative is returning $850,000 to members, the first time it’s made such a distribution in its 75-year history.
In previous years, the Co-op has reinvested earnings in upgrades to its electrical system and used capital to secure power supply contracts.
Vermont Public Radio reports (http://bit.ly/1aIvEa4) the co-op recently adopted new policies that enable “patronage capital” distributions. That’s based on the principle that the economic benefits of a cooperative’s operation should be returned to its members or reinvested in the co-op.
The distributions apply to members during 1997 and 2012. Active members in good account standing and with patronage capital balances from these years can expect to receive a credit on their bills between now and mid-October.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — The Vermont Board of Education is seeking public comment as members draft a... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.