Man denies shoplifting for grandchildrenSeptember 19,2013A West Rutland man charged with shoplifting allegedly told police he stole the items for his grandchildren.
Anthony E. Sargent, 50, pleaded innocent Monday in Rutland criminal court to a misdemeanor charge of retail theft.
According to an affidavit field with the court by Rutland County Sheriff’s Deputy Jessica Ryan-LeBlanc, Sargent was seen by sales staff stealing items from Kmart in the Diamond Run Mall in Rutland Town.
Police confronted Sargent, who allegedly admitted to stealing what was later found to be just under $200 worth of merchandise from the store. According to the affidavit, Ryan-LeBlanc asked Sargent why he stole the items.
“He stated ‘My grandchildren are going back to school and I wanted to bring something home for them to have,’” Ryan-LeBlanc wrote.
Sargent also pleaded innocent to a charge of unlawful trespass because he has a no-trespass order against him from the mall.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.