Man denies shoplifting for grandchildrenSeptember 19,2013A West Rutland man charged with shoplifting allegedly told police he stole the items for his grandchildren.
Anthony E. Sargent, 50, pleaded innocent Monday in Rutland criminal court to a misdemeanor charge of retail theft.
According to an affidavit field with the court by Rutland County Sheriff’s Deputy Jessica Ryan-LeBlanc, Sargent was seen by sales staff stealing items from Kmart in the Diamond Run Mall in Rutland Town.
Police confronted Sargent, who allegedly admitted to stealing what was later found to be just under $200 worth of merchandise from the store. According to the affidavit, Ryan-LeBlanc asked Sargent why he stole the items.
“He stated ‘My grandchildren are going back to school and I wanted to bring something home for them to have,’” Ryan-LeBlanc wrote.
Sargent also pleaded innocent to a charge of unlawful trespass because he has a no-trespass order against him from the mall.MORE IN This Just InPITTSFORD – The Select Board meets tonight at 6:30 to hear a presentation by Green Lantern... Full StoryTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.