Man denies shoplifting for grandchildrenSeptember 19,2013A West Rutland man charged with shoplifting allegedly told police he stole the items for his grandchildren.
Anthony E. Sargent, 50, pleaded innocent Monday in Rutland criminal court to a misdemeanor charge of retail theft.
According to an affidavit field with the court by Rutland County Sheriff’s Deputy Jessica Ryan-LeBlanc, Sargent was seen by sales staff stealing items from Kmart in the Diamond Run Mall in Rutland Town.
Police confronted Sargent, who allegedly admitted to stealing what was later found to be just under $200 worth of merchandise from the store. According to the affidavit, Ryan-LeBlanc asked Sargent why he stole the items.
“He stated ‘My grandchildren are going back to school and I wanted to bring something home for them to have,’” Ryan-LeBlanc wrote.
Sargent also pleaded innocent to a charge of unlawful trespass because he has a no-trespass order against him from the mall.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO — A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.