Man faces assault, DUI-related chargesSeptember 23,2013Man faces assault,
TOWNSHEND — A Newfane man is facing several charges after allegedly threatening people with a machete and crashing into a sign for the local high school while intoxicated.
Police charged Tyler Smith, 24, with attempted aggravated assault, drunken driving, negligent driving and leaving the scene of a crash.
According to police, around 5 p.m. Saturday Tyler was in a minor crash with another driver on State Forest Road.
According to police, Smith exited his vehicle while wielding an 18-inch machete, and then fled the scene.
Police received a second report of Smith involved in an altercation with five people on Route 30. According to police, Smith fled that scene at a high rate of speed and crashed into the sign for Leland and Gray Union Middle and High School.
Police said Smith fled that scene as well. Police finally caught up with Smith in front of the Town Hall. He is scheduled to appear Oct. 8 in Brattleboro criminal court.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?