Man faces assault, DUI-related chargesSeptember 23,2013Man faces assault,
TOWNSHEND — A Newfane man is facing several charges after allegedly threatening people with a machete and crashing into a sign for the local high school while intoxicated.
Police charged Tyler Smith, 24, with attempted aggravated assault, drunken driving, negligent driving and leaving the scene of a crash.
According to police, around 5 p.m. Saturday Tyler was in a minor crash with another driver on State Forest Road.
According to police, Smith exited his vehicle while wielding an 18-inch machete, and then fled the scene.
Police received a second report of Smith involved in an altercation with five people on Route 30. According to police, Smith fled that scene at a high rate of speed and crashed into the sign for Leland and Gray Union Middle and High School.
Police said Smith fled that scene as well. Police finally caught up with Smith in front of the Town Hall. He is scheduled to appear Oct. 8 in Brattleboro criminal court.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.