Man faces assault, DUI-related chargesSeptember 23,2013Man faces assault,
TOWNSHEND — A Newfane man is facing several charges after allegedly threatening people with a machete and crashing into a sign for the local high school while intoxicated.
Police charged Tyler Smith, 24, with attempted aggravated assault, drunken driving, negligent driving and leaving the scene of a crash.
According to police, around 5 p.m. Saturday Tyler was in a minor crash with another driver on State Forest Road.
According to police, Smith exited his vehicle while wielding an 18-inch machete, and then fled the scene.
Police received a second report of Smith involved in an altercation with five people on Route 30. According to police, Smith fled that scene at a high rate of speed and crashed into the sign for Leland and Gray Union Middle and High School.
Police said Smith fled that scene as well. Police finally caught up with Smith in front of the Town Hall. He is scheduled to appear Oct. 8 in Brattleboro criminal court.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER — Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’ political action committee has been fined by... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.