Man faces assault, DUI-related chargesSeptember 23,2013Man faces assault,
TOWNSHEND — A Newfane man is facing several charges after allegedly threatening people with a machete and crashing into a sign for the local high school while intoxicated.
Police charged Tyler Smith, 24, with attempted aggravated assault, drunken driving, negligent driving and leaving the scene of a crash.
According to police, around 5 p.m. Saturday Tyler was in a minor crash with another driver on State Forest Road.
According to police, Smith exited his vehicle while wielding an 18-inch machete, and then fled the scene.
Police received a second report of Smith involved in an altercation with five people on Route 30. According to police, Smith fled that scene at a high rate of speed and crashed into the sign for Leland and Gray Union Middle and High School.
Police said Smith fled that scene as well. Police finally caught up with Smith in front of the Town Hall. He is scheduled to appear Oct. 8 in Brattleboro criminal court.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.