Man faces assault, DUI-related chargesSeptember 23,2013Man faces assault,
TOWNSHEND — A Newfane man is facing several charges after allegedly threatening people with a machete and crashing into a sign for the local high school while intoxicated.
Police charged Tyler Smith, 24, with attempted aggravated assault, drunken driving, negligent driving and leaving the scene of a crash.
According to police, around 5 p.m. Saturday Tyler was in a minor crash with another driver on State Forest Road.
According to police, Smith exited his vehicle while wielding an 18-inch machete, and then fled the scene.
Police received a second report of Smith involved in an altercation with five people on Route 30. According to police, Smith fled that scene at a high rate of speed and crashed into the sign for Leland and Gray Union Middle and High School.
Police said Smith fled that scene as well. Police finally caught up with Smith in front of the Town Hall. He is scheduled to appear Oct. 8 in Brattleboro criminal court.MORE IN This Just InBy Erin Mansfield Full StoryThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.