3-alarm fire destroys home in NewfaneSeptember 25,2013
By Christian Avard
NEWFANE - A three-alarm fire destroyed a home at 174 Newfane Hill Road in Newfane on Wednesday, according to Southwest New Hampshire Fire Mutual Aid.
Newbrook Fire Chief Todd Lawley said the fire was called in just before 1 p.m. and was fully involved by the time firefighters arrived at the scene. The home owners, Sandra and Reginald Sorrell and their daughter were home at the time of the fire and were not injured, Lawley said.
"(Reginald Sorrell) was doing some shingle work on the side of their house when his daughter yelled to him there was a fire. It started on the second floor in the kitchen, engulfed the second floor and then the roof," Lawley said.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. The home was already declared a total loss before the fire was under control by late afternoon.
The fire went from two-alarm to three-alarm status because tankers were needed to access a local water source. Rescue Inc. and the Newbrook, South Newfane, West Dummerston, Putney, Winhall, Guilford, Wardsboro, East Dover and Townshend Fire Departments responded to the fire.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.