Health officials to check more Rutland homes for banned pesticideSeptember 26,2013The Associated Press
Vermont health officials believe there may be more homes in Rutland County that have been contaminated with a banned pesticide.
High levels of the chemical chlorpyrifos, banned since 2001, have forced six households to relocate; five others have been told to move.
The state says the chemical had been used by a pest control company to get rid of bed bugs. The chemical can cause nervous system and developmental disorders.
Tom Condon of the Environmental Protection Agency tells Vermont Public Radio (http://bit.ly/1b6Ygda) besides helping with the testing, the agency will also help set up a database on the cases.
North Clarendon exterminator Cary Buck has denied using chlorpyrifos; he told authorities he hasn't administered it in eight or nine years.
But officials said they found overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.