BURLINGTON — The physicians affiliated with the University of Vermont are getting a new leader.
Dr. Claude Deschamps, currently the chairman of surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, has been named president and chief executive officer of the University of Vermont Medical Group.
Deschamps will also be the senior associate dean for Clinical Affairs at the University of Vermont College of Medicine.
He starts in January.
Deschamps, who is a native of Montreal, has served as the chairman of Mayo’s Department of Surgery since 2005.
As president of the UVM Group, he will lead some 500 physicians at Fletcher Allen and UVM and be a part of both senior leadership teams.
Deschamp will oversee graduate and continuing medical education, and support the development of educational and research opportunities.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — House Speaker Shap Smith has thrown cold water on two ideas that some Democrats hope... Full StoryMONTPELIER — New management plans for a vast section of Vermont’s remote Northeast Kingdom — an... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.