Those pathetic folks who are still clinging by their fingernails to the hope that President Obama will change his thinking by returning to his constitutional law professor/community organizer ethos, and who excuse his nasty, reactionary turn of mind by claiming that it’s the obstructionist Republicans who are blocking his agenda, have intentionally ignored what is common knowledge: Obama could put in place more progressive programs with a stroke of his pen, by executive order.
The most obvious example, which has haunted the White House since the day Obama moved into the Oval Office, is the broken promise to close that hell-hole of torture and injustice, Guantanamo! Another important instance is the minimum wage for over two million workers of companies doing business with the federal government, who earn $8.25 an hour, or what can be termed “starvation wages.”
Obama has delayed and delayed signing an executive order requiring those federal contractors to pay a living wage. The “Yes We Can” man has become the “Forget About It!” man. And then there are the criminal, murderous drone attacks ...
FairfieldMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.