Man ignores his lawyer with pleaOctober 03,2013Staff Report
A Rutland man previously convicted of a federal gun charge ignored his lawyer’s advice Monday and pleaded guilty to domestic assault.
Steven J. McAuley, 33, pleaded guilty in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge of second-degree aggravated domestic assault.
“My client is entering into this plea against my advice,” defense attorney Nelson Floyd told Judge Theresa DiMauro.
Floyd said his client had received alternative offers that would be “better for his criminal record and better for his future.”
In August, McAuley was sentenced to 63 months in U.S. District Court in Rutland for being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Under his plea agreement Monday, McAuley was sentenced to 44 to 45 months in prison, to be served concurrently with his federal sentence.
McAuley’s domestic assault conviction stems from a 2012 incident in which he choked a 15-year-old girl.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.