Man ignores his lawyer with pleaOctober 03,2013Staff Report
A Rutland man previously convicted of a federal gun charge ignored his lawyer’s advice Monday and pleaded guilty to domestic assault.
Steven J. McAuley, 33, pleaded guilty in Rutland criminal court to a felony charge of second-degree aggravated domestic assault.
“My client is entering into this plea against my advice,” defense attorney Nelson Floyd told Judge Theresa DiMauro.
Floyd said his client had received alternative offers that would be “better for his criminal record and better for his future.”
In August, McAuley was sentenced to 63 months in U.S. District Court in Rutland for being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Under his plea agreement Monday, McAuley was sentenced to 44 to 45 months in prison, to be served concurrently with his federal sentence.
McAuley’s domestic assault conviction stems from a 2012 incident in which he choked a 15-year-old girl.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.