2 men imprisoned after Vt. movie fraud convictionsThe Associated Press | October 03,2013BURLINGTON - The two men behind a $28 million movie fundraising fraud scheme that shortchanged hundreds of Vermonters have started their federal prison sentences.
The Burlington Free Press reports Malcolm "Mac" Parker and Louis Soteriou were scheduled to begin their sentences Tuesday.
On Wednesday, the U.S. Bureau of Prisons inmate locator said the 56-year-old Parker, of Addison, was incarcerated at the Ray Brook Federal Correctional Facility in Ray Brook, N.Y.
The 56-year-old Soteriou, of Middlebury, Conn., was incarcerated at the Fort Devens Federal Medical Facility in Devens, Mass.
Last month Parker was sentenced to 55 months and Soteriou to 84 months.
Over a decade Parker oversaw both the fundraising and filming aspects of a movie project while Soteriou was a silent partner.
Investors lost an estimated $9 million.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER – The United States Department of Agriculture announced today that schools in... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Ensisheim meteorite falls into Alsatian wheatfield, 1665, first issue of London Gazette, 1874, Thomas Nast cartoon features elephant as GOP symbol, 1907, Jesus Garcia saves town from burning dynamite boxcar.