Murder suspect ruled incompetentOctober 05,2013Murder suspect
BURLINGTON — A doctor has determined that a man accused of killing a Vermont social worker in her Burlington home in 2010 is incompetent to stand trial.
It was the third psychological evaluation for Jose Pazos, who has been found competent and incompetent since he was arrested nearly three years ago.
Pazos has said he is competent to stand trial and to represent himself.
The Burlington Free Press reported that the state said Friday that it will not challenge the latest finding.
Pazos is accused of killing Kathleen Smith on Nov. 9, 2010. Friends of Smith told police he held a grudge against her over a custody dispute involving his child.MORE IN This Just InTRENTON, N.J. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,