Man charged with aggravated assault of a police officerOctober 06,2013Staff Report
CHITTENDEN - A local man is expected in court Monday to answer charges after he allegedly struck a state trooper with his car.
Friday night, state police responded to a wooded area between Mountain Top Road and Dam Road for a report of an underage drinking party. As police approached what they described as a large gathering, several people fled on foot and in automobiles.
According to police, one of those drivers was 19-year-old Cody J. Dion, who ignored commands to stop and instead accelerated directly at two police officers. Police said Dion’s car struck the hand of one of the officers as he dove out of the way.
Police said neither trooper was seriously injured.
According to police, Dion then struck a parked police cruiser, causing damage to both vehicles.
Police later found Dion’s car abandoned on Wildcat Road, and found Dion at his home on Dam Road. He was arrested and held in Rutland jail on $25,000 bail.
He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Rutland criminal court on charges of aggravated assault of a police officer and leaving the scene of an accident.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.