Man charged with aggravated assault of a police officerOctober 06,2013Staff Report
CHITTENDEN - A local man is expected in court Monday to answer charges after he allegedly struck a state trooper with his car.
Friday night, state police responded to a wooded area between Mountain Top Road and Dam Road for a report of an underage drinking party. As police approached what they described as a large gathering, several people fled on foot and in automobiles.
According to police, one of those drivers was 19-year-old Cody J. Dion, who ignored commands to stop and instead accelerated directly at two police officers. Police said Dion’s car struck the hand of one of the officers as he dove out of the way.
Police said neither trooper was seriously injured.
According to police, Dion then struck a parked police cruiser, causing damage to both vehicles.
Police later found Dion’s car abandoned on Wildcat Road, and found Dion at his home on Dam Road. He was arrested and held in Rutland jail on $25,000 bail.
He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Rutland criminal court on charges of aggravated assault of a police officer and leaving the scene of an accident.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.