Man charged with aggravated assault of a police officerOctober 06,2013Staff Report
CHITTENDEN - A local man is expected in court Monday to answer charges after he allegedly struck a state trooper with his car.
Friday night, state police responded to a wooded area between Mountain Top Road and Dam Road for a report of an underage drinking party. As police approached what they described as a large gathering, several people fled on foot and in automobiles.
According to police, one of those drivers was 19-year-old Cody J. Dion, who ignored commands to stop and instead accelerated directly at two police officers. Police said Dion’s car struck the hand of one of the officers as he dove out of the way.
Police said neither trooper was seriously injured.
According to police, Dion then struck a parked police cruiser, causing damage to both vehicles.
Police later found Dion’s car abandoned on Wildcat Road, and found Dion at his home on Dam Road. He was arrested and held in Rutland jail on $25,000 bail.
He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Rutland criminal court on charges of aggravated assault of a police officer and leaving the scene of an accident.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.