Man charged with aggravated assault of a police officerOctober 06,2013Staff Report
CHITTENDEN - A local man is expected in court Monday to answer charges after he allegedly struck a state trooper with his car.
Friday night, state police responded to a wooded area between Mountain Top Road and Dam Road for a report of an underage drinking party. As police approached what they described as a large gathering, several people fled on foot and in automobiles.
According to police, one of those drivers was 19-year-old Cody J. Dion, who ignored commands to stop and instead accelerated directly at two police officers. Police said Dion’s car struck the hand of one of the officers as he dove out of the way.
Police said neither trooper was seriously injured.
According to police, Dion then struck a parked police cruiser, causing damage to both vehicles.
Police later found Dion’s car abandoned on Wildcat Road, and found Dion at his home on Dam Road. He was arrested and held in Rutland jail on $25,000 bail.
He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Rutland criminal court on charges of aggravated assault of a police officer and leaving the scene of an accident.MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Josh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Full StoryWHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Royalton man denied charges that he pointed a gun at a woman and her... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.