Vt. hikers rescued from NH mountainOctober 09,2013Vt. hikers rescued
from NH mountain
GORHAM, N.H. — Two Vermont hikers are safe after being rescued from a New Hampshire mountain after a storm.
The couple were on the summit of Mount Madison in the White Mountains on Monday afternoon when a severe storm soaked them and their gear.
Then a dense fog made it nearly impossible to see the trail. With temperatures dropping, they called 911 for help at about 7 p.m.
Rescuers hiked about four miles up the trail and found them shortly after 1 a.m.
Twenty-eight-year-old Raymond Barnard and 27-year-old Stephanie Watkins of Brownsville, Vt., were cold and wet but able to put on dry clothing and follow rescuers down.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said the pair had used sleeping bags and tent rain fly to protect themselves, which probably saved their lives.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.