Vt. hikers rescued from NH mountainOctober 09,2013Vt. hikers rescued
from NH mountain
GORHAM, N.H. ó Two Vermont hikers are safe after being rescued from a New Hampshire mountain after a storm.
The couple were on the summit of Mount Madison in the White Mountains on Monday afternoon when a severe storm soaked them and their gear.
Then a dense fog made it nearly impossible to see the trail. With temperatures dropping, they called 911 for help at about 7 p.m.
Rescuers hiked about four miles up the trail and found them shortly after 1 a.m.
Twenty-eight-year-old Raymond Barnard and 27-year-old Stephanie Watkins of Brownsville, Vt., were cold and wet but able to put on dry clothing and follow rescuers down.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said the pair had used sleeping bags and tent rain fly to protect themselves, which probably saved their lives.MORE IN This Just InPITTSFORD – The Select Board meets tonight at 6:30 to hear a presentation by Green Lantern... Full StoryTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.