Vt. hikers rescued from NH mountainOctober 09,2013Vt. hikers rescued
from NH mountain
GORHAM, N.H. — Two Vermont hikers are safe after being rescued from a New Hampshire mountain after a storm.
The couple were on the summit of Mount Madison in the White Mountains on Monday afternoon when a severe storm soaked them and their gear.
Then a dense fog made it nearly impossible to see the trail. With temperatures dropping, they called 911 for help at about 7 p.m.
Rescuers hiked about four miles up the trail and found them shortly after 1 a.m.
Twenty-eight-year-old Raymond Barnard and 27-year-old Stephanie Watkins of Brownsville, Vt., were cold and wet but able to put on dry clothing and follow rescuers down.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department said the pair had used sleeping bags and tent rain fly to protect themselves, which probably saved their lives.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.