Man accused of stealing Lottery ticketsOctober 09,2013BENNINGTON — A Manchester man who was arrested as part of a drug sweep in Bennington County last month was arraigned on new charges on Tuesday.
Daniel Reddan, 31, of Manchester, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court to two misdemeanor counts of petty larceny and one misdemeanor count each of possession of a stimulant drug and violating the conditions of his release from custody.
In an affidavit, Cpl. James Blanchard of the Manchester Police Department said police were called on Monday around 2:10 p.m. by the manager of the Rite Aid pharmacy on Main Street. The manager told police that she believed Reddan had been in the store Monday and Sunday and taken lottery tickets.
Blanchard said video surveillance footage from the store seemed to show Reddan reaching behind a counter and taking lottery tickets. The manager told Blanchard she believed about $75 in tickets had been taken.
Police were able to arrest Reddan when he went to a nearby convenience store whose employees were told Reddan might come in to try to turn in lottery tickets, Blanchard said.
At the store, Blanchard noticed blue fluid dripping from Reddan’s nostrils.
“I asked him why the inside of his nose was blue. He initially stated that he did not know. He then stated that he had just snorted an Aderall pill,” Blanchard said.
When Reddan was arraigned on Sept. 30 for possession and sale of heroin, he was ordered not to have or use regulated drugs without a prescription.
Reddan was released without bail on Tuesday.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.