Police confirm body belongs to missing Townshend womanOctober 12,2013WINHALL — Police have confirmed that Helen Holmes’ body was found in Winhall on Wednesday on a remote logging road.
Family members said they had last seen Holmes, 59, of Townshend, on Sept. 6.
Police searched for Holmes but couldn’t find any clues to explain her disappearance. On Wednesday, a hiker spotted some partial human remains and made a report to the Winhall Police Department.
Winhall officers found the 2010 Subaru Forester registered to Holmes and the body a short distance away. However, a press release from the Vermont State Police written Thursday said police had not been able to officially identify the body.
On Friday, the office of the chief medical examiner for Vermont was able to make an official confirmation that the body found was Holmes.
A handgun was found along with the body but on Friday, a spokeswoman for the Vermont State Police repeated the police did not suspect foul play. The case is still considered pending until an official cause and manner of death is determined by the medical examiner’s office.
“Due to the nature of the case and processing of evidence, the final autopsy report may not be available for some time,” the spokeswoman said.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.