Colleen F. MartinOctober 15,2013Colleen F. Martin
BLOOMFIELD, Conn. — Colleen F. Martin, 48, died Friday, Oct. 11, 2013, at the Helen and Harry Gray Cancer Center at Hartford Hospital.
She was born in Springfield, Vt., the daughter of Neil and Patricia (Follett) Martin.
She was a graduate of Springfield (Vt.) High School in 1983 and earned her Bachelor of Science degree in health, physical education and recreation, from Springfield (Mass.) College in 1987. She participated in high school sports and played collegiate field hockey and lacrosse. She also obtained her Master of Education degree from Boston University and Master of Science degree in marketing management from Rensselaer.
For the past 26 years, Ms. Martin was a physical education teacher and coach at Avon (Conn.) Middle School.
Survivors include a sister, Sandi Prescott, and a nephew.
Calling hours will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16, at the Molloy Funeral Home, 906 Farmington Ave., West Hartford, Conn.
The graveside service will be at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, at St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery in Springfield, Vt., followed by a reception at 56 Main Street Restaurant.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Colleen Martin Memorial Scholarship, Avon Middle School, West Avon Road, Avon, CT 06001; or Springfield Vermont Humane Society, 401 Skitchewaug Trail, Springfield, VT 05156.
Local arrangements are under the direction of the Davis Memorial Chapel in Springfield, Vt.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?