Senate reaches deal to end shutdown, raise debt limitOctober 16,2013MONTPELIER — Senate leaders have reached an accord to reopen the federal government and lift the nation's borrowing limit before Thursday's deadline.
The Associated Press reported an agreement was reached between Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Wednesday morning. The government would reopen through Jan. 15 and the Treasury Department would be allowed to increase the debt limit through Feb. 7, according to the AP report.
The U.S. House is expected to vote on the measure first. House Speaker John Boehner will need to rely heavily on Democratic votes to pass the bill.
Ryan Nickel, a spokesman for Democratic Rep. Peter Welch said Vermont's lone congressman will vote in favor of the deal. The offices' of Sens. Patrick Leahy and Bernie Sanders had no immediate response to the reported deal.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.