Annual food drive underwayOctober 16,2013Annual food
The annual Fill the Cupboard Challenge food drive will aim to raise 27,000 items for the Rutland Community Cupboard.
Organizers of the event, sponsored by Green Mountain Power, called it the largest-ever goal for an annual food drive. Last year’s challenge brought in 26,000 items, according to coordinator Sue Bassett.
Businesses, clubs, schools, sports teams, churches and other organizations are encouraged to register for the Challenge, collect items through Nov. 6 and deliver them to the Rutland Community Cupboard.
GMP will donate 25 cents to the Community Cupboard for every item collected, up to a total of $6,250. The company will also donate $500 in the name of the group that collects the most food.
Participants can solicit food donations from employees, customers, vendors or others, and are encouraged to conduct their own food drives as part of the challenge.
For more information, call Chuck Piotrowski at 770-4088 or Sue Bassett at 747-6119.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.