700 acres of farmland to be conservedOctober 16,2013Farmland to
The Vermont Housing & Conservation Board has awarded over $1.6 million in state and federal funding to conserve six farms totaling nearly 700 acres in Washington, Windham and Orange counties.
The board matched $740,000 in state funds with $864,000 in federal funding for farmland protection from the Natural Resources Conservation Service. The Vermont Land Trust is raising approximately $170,000 to match the funding.
The farmers will sell conservation easements, limiting any future development to the terms of the easement. As a result of these funding commitments, the Vermont Land Trust will conserve farms in Barre Town, Washington, Thetford, Randolph, Westminster and Dummerston.MORE IN This Just InBy Amy Ash Nixon Full StoryRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads data direct to your head: On this day in 410... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.